Duksey's blog

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Nagging Men

These nagging men.
I hurriedly made for the taxi stage crossing my fingers and wishing that I could be the last passenger to board the taxi so that I did not have to sit for ages at the stage. It was 10pm;I could not wait to get home. After spending the whole day in the salon, and a quick chat at my friend’s place exhausted cannot come close to describing how I felt then. I was deemed unlucky the moment I saw the lone taxi parked at the stage near Conrad Plaza.
Devastated, and it was evident a long wait was ahead of me I decided to get a comfortable seat. So I zeroed on the front seat.
To my surprise there was one passenger, he seemed so engrossed in the annoyingly loud Lingala music. I was irritated and the first thing I did after I had settled in was requesting him to reduce the volume. With the volume low I thought I could just sit back and reflect on my life, only to hear my neighbour ask.
"You are from where?" I was so shocked and amused by this question or should I say statement that I immediately recovered from my relaxing mood and sat up. This did not help to send the 'do not disturb' message because as if to confirm his question my neighbour went on to ask again. This time I was even more amused I replied, "Somewhere".
Definitely not satisfied he went on, "You are called who?" This time I decided to make my wait eventful in small play so I claimed not to have a name. I kept one wondering what was his case. That is a woman's life for you, be it at a party, work, park, market, taxi, you name it and every woman can testify that she had an encounter with a man who wants to be friends.
So there I was with my 'I want to be your friend neighbour,' in a taxi. I kept wondering why he never got his questions straight. As I sunk into silence, he volunteered his name as Patrick and urged me to tell him mine. "Why aren't you open? It is good to be open don't you see me?" And I am thinking 'open to a stranger?' Not being in the mood for a get out of ma face session, I simply laughed and told him he could pick one out for me and kept queit.
I just don't understand the persistence of a man. His next move was to increase the volume of the radio again and begin singing along to the Lingala songs.
Curious, I asked him if he understood the lyrics. Full of pride that I had spoke voluntarily he quickly begun assuring me of his full knowledge of the language. Apparently the song was calling for people to dance, which he put as "kona dance".
"Can we go and kona dance?" was the next question on his interrogating list. I declined and told him that I do not enjoy his kind of music. "Eee my friend you are very complicated. Okay let's go and dance to any you like," he persisted.
This time I shook my head and looked back to see that the taxi was filling up slowly but surely. It was 10.30pm and I was still at the stage, what misery.
No sooner had I begun to get lost in thought than my neighbour interjected. "Why don't we go and sit down somewhere and talk, one day," he said.
This time it took all my strength not to burst out into laughter. It is amazing how some people ask for dates. I told him that I would see if he could contact me and told him that I did not have a phone though.
It was his turn to be amused because I had just been scrolling through my phone 10 minutes ago. He simply shook his head and said I was such a stubborn individual. So the little fun was over I told myself but as the taxi filled and set off he was at it again. This times asking where I live.
I told him I was his neighbour so we could meet at home. To this he shook his head and kept quiet. Peace lasted for 10 miutes then luckily he alighted and told me that he would miss me. I laughed and thought gosh it must be hard to be a man if you have to do this 'I want to be your friend business.' Luckily for him I was not in my, 'Daaah, give mi a break mister' mood or I could have had his head for supper.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home